Wednesday 8 June 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

"You are a very beautiful women". A compliment which I should be thanking but instead ..... I said " Thank you, but I'm not that beautiful". The guy said " I really mean that and you can't argue what I said because the beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Oh .... isn't that sweet?

This saying first appeared in the 3rd century BC in Greek and Shakespeare expressed a similar sentiment in Love's Labours Lost, 1588:
Good Lord Boyet, my beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues
So ......, why is it so hard to just accept the compliment? Why do I have to deny other people appreciation? But this is how most Malaysian women react to a compliment especially when it has to do with beauty. It's just an act of being polite. We were taught that way .... at least my mom did. Guys....., don't feel offended okay.

Beauty is a gift. It's not everyday people will tell you that you're beautiful. Especially when you passed your prime age, not many people can see your beauty any more. It's okay to be beautiful. It's okay to feel beautiful. We should be grateful for what we have and when other people find us beautiful, we should be thanking not denying. It'll sound rude when we deny somebody's opinion, right? So, start showing that we appreciate other people opinion.

I didn't write this because I feel very beautiful. I am very grateful for how I look like but I'm hoping that every time somebody said I'm beautiful, he or she will see the more than just the physical beauty. I'm just reminding myself to always appreciate other people opinion, and to thank for the good words people said about you. But the most important thing is to remember to be beautiful not just from the outside but also from the inside ... from your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment