Monday 11 July 2011

Token of appreciation

Last week was quite a 'hot' week in my work place. There were some happy people, some unhappy people and  very unhappy people. Sound just like a normal day right? But it was not a very normal week for me.

So, what was it about? It is about one of most influential thing in the world ...... MONEY. Yes, it's about money.    Money, money, money. Last week, some of the staffs in my work place got a salary increment. ONLY SOME. It was a happy event for those who got it but for the other some ......  it caused lot of dissatisfaction.

Me? Did I get it? Huh! Unfortunately I didn't get it ........ yet. (Still hoping for it). Angry? ......... sort of. Sad? .... yes. Dissapointed? ........ of course.  Dissatisfied? ....... absolutely. On top of everything ....... i feel unappreciated.

Of course it's always nice to have an extra money but that is not the true issue. It's actually an issue of appreciation. Appreciating other people hard work with a token. It may sound so materialistic but it is a method of thanking and appreciating your staff and other people who has help you. Tell me ....... how many time do you get a 'thank you' from your bosses? Maybe some of us get more from others but for some ....... not a word.

I know, it's almost impossible to please all the people around us. People are just different because they are an individual. They have different needs and different objective in life. But doesn't matter how different we are, we do have the same psychosocial needs. We need to be supported (at different level accordingly) and we need to be acknowledge and appreciated. We need all this to make us feel good about the work we are doing, being in the place we are and being around the people we work with.

As the leaders, we should be able to recognize and identify the people to be acknowledge and to be appreciated. (What am I saying...?) Basically, leaders must acknowledge and appreciate the staff hard work and the effort that they have given to the organisation. The leaders must know their staffs, their followers, their fans (if applicable ..ha..ha..). They actually must know everybody.

So, should everybody get a token of appreciation. YES! Yes they should. Then you will say that it will cost a lot. Really? How much does it cost you to say thank you to people that help you to build your career? How much does it cost you to say thank you for the people that maintain your reputation all these years? How much does it cost you to say 'hi' and how are you? How much doest it cost you to just knowing your staff? How much? How much is it?

Sometimes I feel that this world is full with ungrateful people. People who think that they achieved all the things in their life on their own. People who think that they are the smartest people in the world. People who think that they know everything but unfortunately they only think about themselves. ONLY THEMSELVES.

I'm trying to be positive each day but the feeling of not being appreciated has pull me my motivation down. Down to a very, very low level. I must just remind my heart to be more sincere each day in what I'm doing. Nursing is my heart and teaching is my soul. I shouldn't be asking for any token for doing what I love to do but it will feel even greater if it is acknowledge and appreciated.

I'm also trying very hard to be a better person each day. So, to  all my friends and to all the people who read this, THANK YOU for all your support. I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment