Friday 27 January 2012

Leaders vs Bosses


Last year, I've attended a class of 'Leadership and Management' and I've to do an assignment on my organisation leadership and management style. My assignment ...... wasn't that good but what I found in the organisation ........ very, very interesting.

Nowadays, people always refer the top people in the organisation as LEADERS. Are they really LEADERS? Do they really lead you to something or they just tell you what to do ..... which also known as BOSSES? Just think about it. Which one do you prefer? A LEADER or a BOSS?

Hhmnn......... easy question ....... the answer ....... quite a dilemma.

'Hah! Why make things so complicated?' (At least that is what one of my friend said).'Leaders or bosses ..... what's the different ......they are still our superior'.

Yeah ........ agree ..... for both issues. First, I do sometimes make things a little bit complicated and leaders and bosses, they are the superior people. But .......... LEADERS and BOSSES are not the same and personally, I would prefer to be with the LEADERS instead of BOSSES.( ....if I have the choices)

So, what's the different between LEADERS and BOSSES? Okay, I'll just use what my friend paste on her desk. We'll just see if it's true.

1)    The BOSS drives his men.
       The LEADER inspire them.

It's true, it's true ...... bosses will just give orders and instructs the subordinate or the workers what to do. No question should be ask because they are the bosses. So, you'll just need to do what was told but LEADERS do not need to tell their people what to do because they just have that aura that really inspire people to do things.

2)   The BOSS depends on authority
      The LEADERS depends on goodwill.

Hhmnn ........ how many times have you seen that? Stressing on the power that they have ....?

3)   The BOSS evokes fear
      The LEADER radiates love.

Sounds familiar? Some even try as much as possible to avoid their BOSSES.

4)   The BOSS says "I"
      The LEADER says "we"

This is happening in lots of organisation. The BOSSES can't really focus on other people besides themselves. So, how can they see the "we".

5)   The BOSS shows who is wrong
      The LEADER shows what is wrong.

This ...... definitely happening in my work place. It's confirmed ...... I have a BOSS.

6)   The BOSS knows how it is done
      The LEADER know to do it.

That's why BOSSES always instruct. They just want the result but they will not show how to do it because most of the time ................ they don't know how do do it. (he..he..he..)

7)   The BOSS demands respect
      The LEADER commands respect.

Of course, the BOSSES want you to respect them and of course people will respect them when they are in-front of the BOSSES. Behind them ........ only ALLAH knows but LEADERS ....... people will just respect them where ever the go.

Can you see now ...... there are differences between BOSSES and LEADERS. What do you think? Is it true? Hopefully, it will help you reflect again on the issue. At least it did help me really think about it and sum up with all the theories I learnt in the classes.

My friends, I believe, it's easier to be a BOSS than to be a LEADER and it's even more fun to be a BOSS than to be a LEADER but it's totally  up to the individual whether to be a BOSS or to be a LEADER. Insyaallah, all of us will be a good LEADER one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment